This creamy dish is a favorite with children and can be served as a main meal or as a side dish by adjusting the portions.
- Béchamel Sauce
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml full cream milk
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 160g grated Emmental, Comtè
- Cheddar, Gouda or other stringy cheese
- 280g macaroni
Method Bèchamel Sauce
- Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir with a wooden spatula. Cook, stirring for about 5 mins or until the mixture becomes bubbly and turns whitish.
- Pour in cold milk stir and season to taste. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring occasionally with a wooden spatula.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 10 mins to cool. Stir in egg yolk and half the cheese.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water according to package instructions. Drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine macaroni and ¾ of the Bèchamel Sauce. Mix well and pour into a buttered, ovenproof dish.
- Top with remaining Bèchamel Sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place on top shelf of an oven preheated to 210°C.
- Bake for around 20mins or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
If you have any doubt regarding this recipe feel free to contact us here.